Cosmology Research Group
- Our Cosmology Team c cosmology group belongs to the Institute of Astrophysics and Space Science ((IA)), which is one of the research units of FCUL funded by FCT, the portuguese Science Foundation with the assessment of Excellent. The Cosmology Team belongs to the to the Galaxies, Cosmology and Evolution of the Universe group of the IA, and is gathered around the Thematic Line "Unveiling the Dynamics of the Universe". It comprehends two poles: One at the University of Lisboa pole, and another pole at the University Porto (IA).
%frame width=75pct | Cosmic Puzzle
Credit: NASA Images
Cosmology has witnessed an observational revolution, which, on the one hand, has contributed more accurate values of the cosmological parameters, and, on the other hand, has put in evidence that there are new and rather complex problems to address in the effort to describe the universe.
Among the main open problems that attract our interest are:
- The search for an explanation for the nature of dark energy and dark matter as well, and for the cosmological balance between such
dominant components, which governs the dynamics of the universe in such a way as to produce a late, recent stage of accelerated expansion;
- The quest for a global understanding of the variety of couplings that are physically admissible in cosmological models, and the assessment of what are the implications of those couplings;
- The theoretical and phenomenological analysis of the relation between the `effective' field yielding dark energy and non-canonical Lagrangians and non-linear gauge kinetic functions;
- The attempt to further understanding the realization of the inflationary stage that took place during the very early universe, and in particular of the mechanism by which the universe reheats from such an extreme stage;
- The investigation of a novel approach to modified theories of gravity that consists of adding to the Einstein-Hilbert Lagrangian an f(R) term constructed a la Palatini. Using the respective dynamically equivalent scalar-tensor representation;
- 3-forms cosmology;
- The relation between the dynamics and interplay of the various components of the universe and the large-scale structure that one observes;
- Weak lensing as a discriminator between theoretical models.
- The quest for the variation of Fundamental Constants.
- The dynamics and cosmological implications of Cosmic Strings.
- Inhomogeneous cosmology.
The IA - Cosmology Team is involved in several important observational missions and Telescopes, namely in Expresso, Euclid, e-LiSA.
In our research we apply a blend of analytical techniques, numerical simulations, and analysis of data to the study of %0acosmological models.
Proceed to more details on the cosmology group